Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Tuesday, Day One

I’m typing this from the airport in Louisville, KY. Why am I here? Long day...

My day started today at 8am.

Correction, my day started again at 8am. I went to bed at 2:30am after helping a pastor move his furniture and “stuff” into a garage. Two of my teens and I were going to help at 6pm, but their moving truck broke down and was delayed until 10:30pm. We didn’t get done until well after 1am.

So I woke up at 8am, then I got ready and left my apartment for Cincinnati about 9am. About an hour into the trip, I noticed my car doing some weird things. I stopped at the next exit and found some car-service shop guy to check it out and test drive it. The auto guy could not find anything wrong with the car, so I continued another 4 hours toward Cincinnati.

At about 4:30pm EST, my car started to make worse noises. This only lasted about 30 seconds then I had the privilege of seeing two random engine parts bouncing down the highway behind me. My car lost power, and then I coasted over to the right emergency lane. With my low battery, analog roaming phone I called 911 and had a tow truck sent. After an hour of waiting the truck arrived and I had it towed to a local service shop.

Now, to prove God was on my side today, I called my Pastor while I was waiting for the tow truck and he happened to be heading back from Kentucky to Birmingham and was only 30 minutes away! Pastor David and his wife picked me up at the tow truck place and we preceded to Louisville airport to rent a car for me.

Between me being under the age of 25, and needing a rental car one way to be dropped off in Birmingham, it was cheaper for me to fly into Cincinnati and back to Birmingham than rent a car.

So here I am...tired, weary, sore throat and drained from a cold, and waiting for my 9:40pm flight.

The morals of the story: don’t trust an old car on a long trip, and God is VERY good! Had my pastor not been near, I don’t know what I would have done.

More tomorrow, barring my plane not breaking down ;)

This is me after a long day, waiting for my flight out of Kentucky.

1 comment:

  1. awwwwww Erik!! I hope the rest of your trip is better! I'm glad to hear you are safe though. That's the most important thing. I'll be praying for the rest of your trip! Feel better too -- I know how it is, I'm shadowing at NASA this whole week and have a cold myself... :-P
    bibi for now!
    ~Courtney~ :-)