Saturday, January 08, 2011

Some 2011 Resolutions

I'm not one to make resolutions, but I thought this might be a good idea to put my own personal goals for the year out there. There is something about writing/typing things out that make them more real to me.

So this year...

* I will be slow to add "friends" on Facebook.

I have too many friends already. I value my friends and it is interesting to see what acquaintances are up to. By limiting my Facebook friends, there is less clutter from people I barely know and I can focus on keeping up with those I am more connected with. I'd rather have few Facebook friends and more real life ones.

* I will invest my time in genuine relationships that will be messy and difficult.

Nothing compares to face to face relationships. They can be tough work. But genuine friendships can last a lifetime and make it worth living.

* The thing that will most fascinate and infatuate me will be my relationship with God.

There are so many things in the world that arrest my attention. In 2011, I want to become more focused and attentive to what matters most. Not someone famous, not a new gadget, not my job, or a hobby or even a family member, God is much more fascinating and compelling than any of those things. It's time I devote my mental and physical attention like I believe it.

* I will learn how to be a better leader and a better servant.

As a person seeking to be paid to do ministry this year, I desire to be a better leader by pouring into and serving others sacrificially.

* I will make my marriage second to my relationship with God.

Marie, you're #2! I know that doesn't sound very romantic, but as I let God pour onto me, He enables me to love my wife/family more completely. After all, God is the source of love.

* I will learn to make the most of the present.

I constantly am thinking if the next thing I have to do. I'm obsessed with the future and it's not healthy. This year, I want to fall in love with the present. I want to learn to cherish every moment today. Yesterday is over and can't be changed. The future doesn't exist yet. The only thing I can control is how I live today. The present is a gift to be cherished.

How about you? What is a goal you have this year for yourself and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment